Fan art by uxyd
|Fan voice(s)||Kimlinh Tran (PONY.MOV)|
Brittany Lauda (Double Rainboom)
WubcakeVA (Sunrise Surprise)
Kira R. Davis (Journey of the Spark)
TheEmoGak (Anthropology Audio Drama, Just Be Me)
Yan Bergquist (Friendship is Witchcraft, Turnabout Storm, Re-enacted by Ponies, My Little Pony Meets, Hooded Quickies)
DivinexRose (My Little Investigations)
Showtime Ariel (Filly Deli)
Numerous pieces of fan labor revolve around the fact that, as of the end of season two, Scootaloo has not shown the ability to fly. This is sometimes explained as a birth defect, but more often Scootaloo is simply a late bloomer in this regard. In the story A Filly's Wings, she is magically turned into an Earth pony, convinced that she was never supposed to be a Pegasus, before realizing that her wings are useful after all.
The song I'll Fly Higher by MandoPony and AcousticBrony has Scootaloo declare that she will eventually be not just a great flyer, but a great pony, despite the many people trying to put her down. Scootaloo's Wings by Jackle App addresses Scootaloo directly, with a similar message.
A one-page comic called To the sky by an artist going only by "---", published on April 26, 2011, has Scootaloo accept that she will never fly as well as (it is implied) Rainbow Dash. So she finds her own way to soar across the skies. Wearing a space helmet and a jetpack, she takes off, soaring towards the stars. Scootaloo with a jetpack and/or as an astronaut is a minor recurring image motif.[FA 1][FA 2][FA 3][FA 4]
Scootaloo is the only one of the Crusaders to have no known relatives mentioned in the show. This leads fans to speculate as to what happened to Scootaloo's family or why Scootaloo doesn't communicate with them on-screen. The most common speculations are that she is an orphan or lives in an abusive or neglectful household.
A very common storyline sees Scootaloo's family circumstances (either as an orphan or with lousy parents) being revealed, and her subsequently being adopted by other characters, usually Rainbow Dash[FF 4][FF 5][FF 6] (a concept that has increased in popularity since Sleepless in Ponyville). Other ponies, such as Twilight Sparkle [FF 7] or the Apple family[FF 8] have also been written as adopting her. Multiple groups on FIMFiction   exist for stories based around this concept.
Other stories depict her with loving parents who simply aren't usually involved in her daily life for various reasons, such as her not wanting to be seen differently by other ponies because of who they are[FF 9], or other, stranger circumstances.[FF 10]
This section describes mature content present in some works about the character covered by this article.
From early 2011 to about the start of season 2, stories and story scenarios implying or stating outright that Scootaloo came from an abusive household became so common the term "Scootabuse" was coined to describe them.[FF 11][FF 12][FF 13] Its definition quickly expanded to be used for any story or comic in which Scootaloo is hurt physically or emotionally for whatever reason. This includes stories like Rainbow Factory, in which Scootaloo is sentenced to death by a fascist Cloudsdale society and faces off against an insane Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash is a fairly common perpetrator of violence against Scootaloo generally in these types of stories, though she also occasionally appears comforting Scootalo or rescuing the filly from these circumstances.[FA 5][FF 14]
Heartwarming narratives featuring Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are sometimes called "Scootalove" in pushback to the other term. They don't necessarily involve a dark past; for instance, the slice-of-life story Sisterhooves Slighted simply casts Rainbow Dash in the role of a big sister to Scootaloo on a day when the other Cutie Mark Crusaders are busy with their real sisters. Other ponies who care for her in other fanfics are Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle.
"Scootabuse" stories have become less prevalent since the start of season two, but some still get published every once in a while.
The most prevalent meme involving Scootaloo is that she is a chicken, or at least considered to be a chicken by others. It originated in the episode Stare Master, where Apple Bloom first accuses Scootaloo of being "chicken" when the Pegasus claims not to want to reveal how chickens are called, and then the former tries calling chickens herself, using Scootaloo's name. She is called a "dodo" in The Return of Harmony Part 1, another flightless bird, but that has not gotten as much traction as the chicken meme.
The meme is expressed in a variety of ways. The most common ones are simple images or comics linking Scootaloo and chickens in some way.[FA 7][FA 8][FA 9][FA 10][FA 11][FA 12][FA 13][FA 14] In conversations between fans on message boards, blogs or r/mylittlepony, "Scootaloo" and "chicken" are often used synonymously. The short story Scootaloo's Parents is a parody of this meme.
McDonald's of Germany held a contest in early 2012, titled "Mein Burger 2012", asking customers to create and name their own sandwich. One of the sandwiches that made the finals is called "Scootaloo", a chicken sandwich, named by its creator after the character from the series. The sandwich received significantly more votes than any other in the competition.
In Equestria Girls, human Scootaloo dances like a chicken at the school dance, in reference to this meme.
|This section is very short. You can help the wiki by expanding it to contain some examples.|
Scootaloo has been shipped with some of the other foals of the show. She is most commonly paired with Sweetie Belle. This pairing is called ScootaBelle.[FF 16] ScootaBloom, the pairing with Apple Bloom, is also fairly common.[FF 17] For straight pairings, Scootaloo is often paired with Rumble.[FF 18] Additionally, she is paired with Pipsqueak though less often.[FF 19]
Fan fiction examples
- ↑ defender2222 (2012-08-27). The Many Secret Origins of Scootaloo. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ JasonTheHuman (2012-12-23). A Season of Giving. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ nanashi_jones (2014-01-03). Scootaloo, Where Are Your Parents?. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ Families
- ↑ GunsNRoses365 (2013-10-16). A Sisters Promise. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ The Abyss (2013-11-16). I'll Always be Here for You. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ MayhemDarkshadow (2013-03-23). Guardian Angel. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2015 June 29.
- ↑ Lapis-Lazuli and Inky J (2013-11-29). Apple Family Values. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2015 June 29.
- ↑ MythrilMoth (2013-12-07). Scootaloo's Sunrise Surprise. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2015 June 29.
- ↑ Tatsurou (2013-12-15). Daughter of Darkness. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2015 June 29.
- ↑ Orangelinedevil (2011-07-20). 2nd gear Scootabuse.
- ↑ doctordapples (2011-08-12). La Poulain De Rue.
- ↑ Wheller (2011-09-12). Home Sweet Home.
- ↑ XenoBrony (2011-04-12). My Savior.
- ↑ DarkonShadows (2012-03-27). Rainbows guide to abusing Scootaloo.
- ↑ bats (2013-10-22). The ScootaBelle Group. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ Jake R (2013-05-28). The Barn. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2014 February 8.
- ↑ Aqua Shimmer (2013-08-24). Rumbleloo group. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ Wintergreen Diaries (2012-07-05). Cutie Mark Catastrophes. FIMFiction. Retrieved on 2013 February 8.