My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic was an upcoming fan-made fighting game inspired by the animated television series My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. It is under development by a team of nine volunteers who call themselves Mane6. Being of a fan-made nature, this game was neither licensed nor endorsed by Hasbro.Though the game will no longer be developed based on the My Little Pony characters, the Mane6 team will reuse the core gameplay elements they had devised, with new non-copyrighted characters to be provided by artist Lauren Faust, the original creative lead on the Friendship is Magic series.
The final version of the game will feature seventeen playable characters in all with the six main characters from the show playable from launch. Eleven more characters will follow in semi-regular updates. The game will be downloadable and free to play. Both local and online multiplayer modes will be included as well as a story mode. Character-specific moves will also be present in-game. My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic will feature various stages that represent places from Equestria. The Everfree Forest and Canterlot are mentioned.
Players will be allowed to select a color scheme for their character from fixed palettes. However, one of the animators has stated that the team will not provide a custom pony creator and/or alternate costumes; they are practically impossible to make due to engine limitations and technical difficulties.
The game originally began when a Mane6 team member, Anukan made mock-up screens under the title of "Marevel vs Clopcom" and posted them to a Ponychan board discussing fighting ponies. When another, Nappy, saw those images, he became determined to make them a reality, and in summer of 2011, the team, which at the time, consisted not only of Nappy and Anukan, but also of Jay Wright, Lucas Ellinghaus, James Workman, and Prominence, met on Skype for the first time.
The game uses the Fighter Maker game engine. The team has released early pre-alpha gameplay footage that displays basic game mechanics such as launches, juggles and hyper combos as seen in existing fighting game franchises such as Marvel vs. Capcom and Guilty Gear. So far, they have only released footage showing how Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Applejack play. The last main character, Rainbow Dash, is still under development.
Though an unlicensed work from Hasbro, the holders of the My Little Pony franchise intellectual property, the Mane 6 team had not received any cease and desist notices from the company as of October 12, 2011. Like much of the rest of the Internet phenomenon surrounding Friendship is Magic, Hasbro has allowed episodes of the show along with parodies and mash-ups of the works to be redistributed freely across the Internet, helping to create a participator culture that has drawn a broader audience to the show.
On January 30, 2012, Prominence left the development team for personal reasons.
A test build was leaked by a member of the Quality Assurance team on August 2, 2012. As a result, Mane6 announced it was cancelling all plans of external testing and suspending video updates about the game's features for the foreseeable future. However, they released a clarification and FAQ the next day, saying that they overreacted some, and that while they were still replacing their entire QA team (to ensure no further leaks), they don't hate the fans for downloading and playing the leak. Also, they stated that the Canterlot Gardens con "is still go".
Maxwell McGee, of GameSpot, featured this game as "The Most Unlikely Fighter You've Never Heard Of", mentioning about the game's information and revealing a picture of Pinkie Pie fighting Rainbow Dash, along with some other non in-game pictures. He also included an in-depth look at the designing of the game, and working with the 2D Fighter Maker 2002 engine.
On February 8, 2013, the team announced that they had received a cease-and-desist order from Hasbro, and while they are trying to contact Hasbro to negotiate, they will follow the directives of the C&D letter, and suspend production indefinitely. They also announced the resignation of James Workman (aka Elosande) from the development team as of February 6, 2013. There is currently a petition to convince Hasbro to let Mane6 continue development on Fighting is Magic. 
Mane6 were unable to come to agreements with Hasbro and have since started to redo the game using new artwork assets. Faust has offered to provide original character designs for Mane6 for any future endeavors, and her official involvement with the project was announced at the end of February. The cease and desist is believed, by those in the fandom, to be a result of the visibility of the project through the EVO 2013 tournament.
Fighting is Magic is a traditional one-on-one fighter that takes place in a 2-Dimensional plane. The gameplay borrows the dial-a-combo system made popular by renowned fighters such as Capcom's Versus crossover series. Standard fighting game fare is incorporated in the game, from character lifebars to a 'super' gauge to a round timer to special and super attacks. Characters engage in a 'best-of' battle, where one must fully deplete the other's lifebar or have more health remaining once the timer reaches zero for a set number of rounds. The character who wins the most number of rounds is declared the winner of the match.
The button scheme of Fighting is Magic is a four-button layout: light, medium, heavy, and magic. The latter button is an original mechanic that differs with each character, and originally began as a work-around for difficulties with inputting two different attack types at the same time. The system is like the Drive system from BlazBlue.
Fighting is Magic is slated to have a roster of 17 playable characters. Since game development started prior to Friendship is Magic's second season, there will be no characters introduced in season two on the roster. The roster includes Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy.
- Meredith Sims as Twilight Sparkle 
- Kira "Rina-Chan" Buckland as Mayor Mare 
- Karen Hayman as Applejack  
- Emily Fajardo as Pinkie Pie 
- Kimlinh "Hnilmik" Tran as Rarity  
- Lilypichu as Fluttershy 
- Susanna "Aeva" Brown as Rainbow Dash
Twilight Sparkle Intro
March 24, 2012 QA Build w/ Bugs & Glitches
September 2011 Live StreamEdit
February 2012 Live StreamEdit
Gameplay from Evolution 2012Edit
Gameplay footage from the EVO build,
featured in GameSpot's article
The music of Fighting is Magic is composed by RainbowCrash88 and WhitetailMusic. The themes for all of the mane six have been released on Mane6's website. In SaberSpark's video,it seems that Rainbow Dash's theme won 23rd place during the community voted brony songs of 2012 with 52 votes.
Twilight Sparkle's theme
Pinkie Pie's theme
Rainbow Dash's theme
- ↑ Zivalich, Nikole (21 July 2011). My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic -- Nugget From The Net. G4. G4 Media. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ Kuang, Jason (28 July 2011). My Little Pony gets a 2D fighter: Bronies, time to knuckle up. 2d-x.com. Second Dimension Entertainment. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Funk, John (21 July 2010). My Little Ponies Throw Down in Fan-Made Fighter. The Escapist Magazine. Themis Group, Inc. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ Ченцов, Илья (28 July 2011). "Большие Безобразия маленьких пони [Big Hijinks of Little Ponies]" (in Russian) (PDF). Страна Игр (Russia: Gameland) (324): 62–70. EAN-13 4607157100056. http://mane6.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/gameland-mlp-fighting-is-magic.pdf. Retrieved 8 August 2011. , translation available
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Hillier, Brenna (3 March 2013). My Little Pony creator to help resurrect Fighting is Magic game. VG247. Retrieved on 2013 March 3.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Frequently Axed Questions. Mane6. Blogger.com. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Noble, McKinley (23 June 2011). My Little Pony Gets a Street Fighter Style Fighting Game. GamePro. GamePro Media. Archived from the original on 2011-12-01. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ Strawberry Spice (31 May 2011). My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic. Equestria Gaming. Blogger.com. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ Bite-Size Update 11- Palettes Edition (2012-08-25). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ The Joy of Palettes! (2012-01-18). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Maxwell McGee (2012-01-04). The Most Unlikely Fighter You've Never Heard Of. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2012 January 5.
- ↑ Conduit, Jessica (5 November 2011). Twilight Sparkle is a My Little Pony to be reckoned with in Fighting is Magic. Joystiq. Retrieved on 2011 August 8.
- ↑ BSU 12: Menu improvements edition (2012-12-09). Retrieved on 2012 December 19.
- ↑ Glasner, Eli (2011-10-12), My Little Pony - Fighting is Magic?, CBC, http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/things-that-go-pop-blog/2011/10/my-little-pony---fighting-is-magic.html, retrieved 2011-10-12
- ↑ Griffiths, Daniel Nye (2011-08-15), "Colt Success", Wired UK, http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2011/09/play/colt-success, retrieved 2011-10-10
- ↑ Wallenstein, Andrew (2011-07-26). Brands frown on fair use. Variety. Retrieved on 2011 July 26.
- ↑ Marsden, Rhodri (2011-08-09), "Cyberclinic: Copyright sharks don't need to bite the parodies", The Independent, http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/cyberclinic-copyright-sharks-dont-need-to-bite-the-parodies-2334849.html, retrieved 2011-08-09
- ↑ House, Kelly (2011-09-17), "Meet 'bronies' -- grown men who are fans of My Little Pony", The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2011/09/seriously_my_little_pony_grown.html, retrieved 2011-09-17
- ↑ Mane6 announcing Prominence's departure (2012-01-30). Retrieved on 2012 April 10.
- ↑ Open Letter (2012-08-02). Retrieved on 2012 August 2.
- ↑ LEAKWATCH: DAY TWO: The Calming (2012-08-03). Retrieved on 2012 August 6.
- ↑ ManeSix DevTeam (2013-02-08). Not all wonder is endless. Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ Petition to "Allow the Continuation of the Development of Mane6's MLP: Fighting is Magic" (2013-02-08). Retrieved on 2013 February 8.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Griffith, Daniel Nye (2013-02-11). First World Problems: YouTube At The Vatican, Justin Timberlake, Apple Dividends And My Little Pony. Forbes. Retrieved on 2013 February 14.
- ↑ Frequently Axed Questions v2.0 - Will there be characters introduced in S2 on the roster?. Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Twilight Sparkle's VA Found (2011-09-07). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Announcer - Mayor Mare VA (2011-10-13). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Applejack Voice Actress is a go. (2011-10-02). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ [http://www.mane6.com/p/devteam.html MLP: Fighting is Magic Credits] (2012-12-15). Retrieved on 2012 December 15.
- ↑ Pinkie Pie Va- Part 3: The Selection (2011-12-11). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Rarity VA Chosen (2011-02-12). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Hnilmik's resume (2013-01-08). Retrieved on 2013 January 8.
- ↑ Fluttershy VA: Chosen (2012-05-27). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
- ↑ Rainbow Dash VA Chosen (2012-09-18). Retrieved on 2012 September 21.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|