Equestria Daily's current logo
|Founder||Shaun "Sethisto" Scotellaro|
|Date founded||January 2011|
|Type of site||Blogging|
A 23-year-old Arizonian college student going by "Sethisto" established the website in January 2011 to collect fan fiction and news specific to the show My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic. He has explained that he believed the show needed a unified fan base at this critical time, as he and many other twenty- to thirty-year-old males had recently become supporters of the show – known as 'bronies' – and an overarching concern was that Hasbro, the copyright owners of the My Little Pony franchise, would not be authorizing a second season. Towards the end of 2010, when the fan-following was still in its infancy and confined mostly to the /co/ and /b/ boards of English imageboard 4chan, all pony-related content was banned by a moderator who had had enough of the flame war that was being waged between those who enjoyed the show and those who did not. Posting a message containing the word 'pony' became a bannable offense, and this was the final stimulus that prompted Sethisto to begin Equestria Daily. In addition, regarding video-gaming blogs Joystiq and Kotaku, Sethisto has said in a FAQ post on his website that he "always wanted to either join one or run one [himself]."
After its creation, the blog quickly gained attention from the fan community. Although Sethisto ran it solely himself to start with, more and more fans began sending news and updates to him, and the workload increased. By the end of June 2011, the site's staff had been expanded to include two more blog editors and an 'interviewer/YouTube organizer', all drawn from the user base of dedicated blog followers. By this point, the website was garnering around 300,000 additional page views per day, and with the supplementary editors was managing to post a greater number of updates with increased frequency, though still primarily of fan fiction. Equestria Daily has also partially branched into other forms of media dissemination, currently possessing a Facebook page, YouTube account and Twitter account, though all updates are still hosted on the originally-established Blogger site. As of the beginning of October 2011, the site boasts over 50 million hits since its creation in January. The site receives enough pageviews per day that it is able to sustain itself through advertising revenue.
The site reached 200,000,000 total views on June 22, 2012.
On March 15, 2013, an app version of the site was launched for both iOS and Android.
Equestria Daily editors have called several times on its readers to stuff ballots of on-line polls under the term charge.
The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic production team at DHX Media Vancouver, as well as the network which broadcasts the show, The Hub, have both acknowledged the existence of the fan community, and have individually sent official material specifically to Equestria Daily. The Hub had a summer advertising campaign for the show based around a parody of Katy Perry's "California Gurls" called "Equestria Girls", and an extended promotional version of the song was sent to Equestria Daily for "our favorite Pony fans." Hasbro themselves sent a review copy of their interactive iOS storybook "Twilight Sparkle: Teacher for a Day" to Equestria Daily, and several key figures in the production team have done exclusive interviews for the website, including supervising director and current showrunner Jayson Thiessen and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic developer and creative director Lauren Faust.
Emily Manuel of GlobalComment wrote that scanning the site for fan-created works got her through the long wait until the next season. Sethisto was also briefly featured on an episode of NPR's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!
|This section is very short. You can help the wiki by expanding it.|
The website has several categories, sorting posts by "Art", "News", "Fics", "Media", and "Comics". Because of the high volume of fan fiction updates, the site features a "Not-Fanfiction" switch, enabling readers to avoid those posts. Regular features of the blog include:
- Story Updates: a summary of short stories on Equestria Daily that received recent updates
- Drawfriend Stuff: a gallery of often more than 50 pony images from around the web
- Nightly Roundup: a collection of smaller news items not important enough for a blog post of their own
- Custom Pony Compilation: a compilation of custom ponies fans have made
- Wallpaper Compilation: each of these posts has a collection of pony desktop wallpapers
- Q&Neigh: a podcast done by the three main contributors
The site features several chatrooms for different topics, which can all be found here.
|This section is very short. You can help the wiki by expanding it.|
The site has three regular blog editors: the founder, Sethisto, who usually handles the Drawfriend, Nightly Roundup and Story posts; Phoe, who used to run the "Newbie Artist Training Grounds"; and Cereal Velocity. Both of the latter contributors fill in for Sethisto when he is unavailable. Additionally, Tekaramity organizes interviews with show personnel and the occasional "Youtube Catch-up" event, and there are over a dozen "pre-readers" who help with selecting and archiving fan fiction submissions.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 LaMarche, Una (2011-08-03). Pony Up Haters: How 4chan Gave Birth to the Bronies. New York Observer. Retrieved on 2011 August 3.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Sethisto' (2011-06-09). Equestria Daily FAQ. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 September 3.
- ↑ Watchcutter, Angela (2011-06-09). My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ‘Bronies’. Wired. Retrieved on 2011 June 9.
- ↑ Griffiths, Daniel (2011-06-09). Colt success: My Little Pony's reboot, Friendship is Magic. Wired UK. Retrieved on 2011 June 9.
- ↑ Weinman, Jaime (2011-09-07). Ponies Do Sondheim. Maclean's. Retrieved on 2011 September 23.
- ↑ Hix, Lisa (2012-06-28). My Little Pony Smackdown: Girls vs. Bronies. Collectors Weekly. Retrieved on 2012 August 31.
- ↑ Sethisto (2012-06-22). 200,000,000 Celebration Post!. Retrieved on 2012 June 22.
- ↑ Cereal Velocity (2013-03-15). Equestria Daily - Now in App Form!. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2013 March 15.
- ↑ McLaughlin, Katie (2011-09-22). The Throwback: 'My Little Pony'. CNN Entertainment. Retrieved on 2011 September 23.
- ↑ 'Sethisto' (2011-05-27). Premiere: Extended Equestria Girls. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 October 1.
- ↑ 'Cereal Velocity' (2011-09-22). Cereal Reviews Twilight Sparkle: Teacher for a Day. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 October 1.
- ↑ 'Tekaramity' (2011-09-14). Exclusive Season 2 audio interview with Jayson Thiessen. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 October 1.
- ↑ 'Tekaramity' (2011-09-16). Exclusive Season 1 Retrospective Interview with Lauren Faust. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 October 1.
- ↑ Manuel, Emily (2011-08-25). Welcome to the Herd: A Feminist Watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. GlobalComment. Retrieved on 2011 September 1.
- ↑ Bluff The Listener : NPR. Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!. National Public Radio (2011-07-18). Retrieved on 2011 September 23.
- ↑ 'Sethisto' (2011-08-30). Authors and Pre-Reader Page!. Equestria Daily. Retrieved on 2011 October 22.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|